A no-bake treat with a boozy bite, these rum balls are great for gatherings (and keep well in the freezer).
- 1 box Nilla wafers
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ½ cup rum
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar plus more for dusting
- Cocoa powder for dusting
Crush the Nilla wafers, or blitz them to powder in a food processor.
Combine chocolate chips and corn syrup; melt them in your microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat.
Once the chocolate has completely melted, remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar, rum and cookie crumbs (and pecans, if using). Place mixture in the refrigerator for approximately 15 minutes, or until the mixture has stiffened.
Roll mixture into balls. Roll the balls in powdered sugar or cocoa powder before allowing to rest on wax paper.
The rum flavor will intensify over the course of a few hours to days. These will remain fresh for one week if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and for several months if stored in the freezer.
- I recommend using Jamaican rum for this recipe, though any type you have will still impart a boozy flavor.
- For balls with less "bite": instead of 1/2 cup of rum, use 1/4 cup rum and 1/4 cup water.