This recipe (adapted from AllRecipes) started off simple and healthy. I had a multitude of overripe bananas taking up space in my freezer, so I figured I might as well make banana bread. But – banana bread muffins sounded more fun. And – cinnamon tastes good, right? Why not add some cinnamon and butter to the top of these so instead of a healthy breakfast, we have a snickerdoodle-esque dessert? Le sigh. So much for a healthy option. At least they’re delicious?
Cinnamon Sugar Banana Bread Muffins
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 mashed bananas over-ripe work the best
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tin with wrappers.
- Mash bananas. Add sugar, melted butter, and egg; mix well to combine.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently fold into wet ingredient mixture; do not overmix.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin; each should be approximately 3/4 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking, combine white sugar and cinnamon. Melt butter in a separate bowl.
- When muffins are done, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before carefully removing from tin. Once removed, using a pastry brush, brush the top of each muffin with butter before then dunking in the cinnamon sugar mixture (similar to when making snickerdoodle cookies). Allow to dry briefly before serving.