We first tried this recipe a few years ago when our friends were on a Whole30 kick. Did we ever commit to Whole30? No, but we have gradually tried to incorporate paleo-ish recipes into our routine. Egg Roll in a Bowl is one of our favorites for a weeknight dinner — you can prepare it quickly, with minimal prep, and it’s relatively inexpensive. Plus, it offers the flavors of a Chinese takeout treat without the guilt of eating deep-fried food. This recipe is based primarily on instructions from my friend Nick, though you can find variations of it all over the internet.Jump to Recipe
If you’re following a low-carb or Whole30 plan, this dish is perfectly satisfying on its own. If, however, your diet is a little more flexible and you want to add some extra carbs, I highly recommend starting some quinoa or rice on the side, just before you start preparing this recipe. (Egg roll in a bowl cooks super quickly; grains will take a little bit longer, and will retain their heat longer than the recipe below.) I absolutely love using the Instant Pot for quick, easy rice – this recipe offers excellent instructions.
Get out a large, wide stovetop pan. I like to use our Dutch oven, but a skillet or wok will also work well. Over medium heat, brown your ground turkey. As it finishes cooking, add your onion and garlic. Cook until these become aromatic.
Next, add your cole slaw mix. Top this mix with the soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and mirin, stirring so that the sauces are evenly distributed.
Cook this over medium heat until the cole slaw mix has softened — usually about 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately.
This dish pairs well with hot sauce (Frank’s Red Hot in our house, though Sriracha would also taste great). You could also serve it with a fried egg for an additional punch of protein.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2-3 green onions, diced
- 1 bag coleslaw mix I prefer the broccoli/carrot mixture; can substitute ~4 cups of mixed lettuce/grated carrots/diced broccoli if you prefer.
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce Can substitute coconut aminos or Tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil optional – not Paleo or Whole30 approved
- 1 tablespoon mirin optional – not Paleo or Whole30 approved
- Cook ground turkey in a large skillet or wok until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until aromatic.
- Add coleslaw mix, then stir in ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and mirin. Cook over low-medium heat until coleslaw mix softens – roughly 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.